Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Pretty Good Day, Even with a Terrible Start

Sunday began on a horrible note. A piercing, screeching note. It was 6:43 a.m. Everyone was sleeping peacefully, when our carbon monoxide detector went off. Rod jumped out of bed and checked the detector. It was flashing GAS. So we rushed around, getting the kiddos out of bed and loaded into the van along with our dog Stella. I grabbed the diaper bag and we were off. But where are you supposed to go when it is not even 7:00 in the morning and your entire family is still in their pajamas? That's right- Mom and Dad. We called my in-laws and let them know that we were on our way. They only live about a mile away, so we were there in no time. When we got there, we hurried around trying to baby-proof as best we could. The babies were excited to have different surroundings and had a blast exploring. My husband's grandparents, Meemaw and Peepaw, live with his parents. Meemaw has Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases. She has good days and bad days. I know that we won't have her with us for too much longer, so I try to encourage Will and the babies to interact with her and enjoy her while they can. I have some pictures of each of them with her that I have already put in their baby boxes to treasure one day. Meemaw and Peepaw woke up to discover that the house had been taken over. All five kids were running around and yelling- my in-laws have a big open-plan home so the kids love how their voices echo when they yell. Stella (a 40 lb boxer/lab mix) was chasing around my in-laws shitzus, Frankie and Gracie. I hoped that the noise wouldn't disturb Meemaw too much, but she seemed to love it. She was smiling and laughing. I was happy that the babies walked right up to her and Julia even climbed into her lap. I made sure to stay close by since Meemaw isn't too steady and Julia is squirmy, but we had no trouble at all. Meemaw kept murmuring, "they are all just so pretty..." Obviously, this wasn't a planned outing so I didn't have my camera, but I should have borrowed Jim and Judy's so I could have taken some pictures. I am so glad that we got to be there for a good day.
Well, I did call the utility company when we got there, and was told a technician would come to the house to check everything out. I was to meet him there in an hour. We got started making a big breakfast. My husband's sister lives right behind my in-laws, so we called over there to invite them to breakfast. Laura, her husband Ed, and their four kids all came by. It was loud and crowded, but nice. Everyone ate eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon and cereal. After a bit I went back and sat in the van outside of the house waiting for the technician to arrive. He showed up and was a very friendly man. He asked where all of the gas appliances are, then went in by himself to check things out. After only 5 or 10 minutes, he called me in. Everything was fine. He said that the highest reading he ever got was 0.1. He said that is nothing, dangerous levels are in the 100s.He explained that most likely it was a "gas belch" (his words.) That the furnace kicked on, but the igniter took a second to kick in and a small cloud of gas went through the vents and set off the detector, but never put us in any danger. He did say that we did the right thing by getting everyone out, but fortunately, nothing was wrong and we could come home whenever.
I went back and told everyone that the house was not going to explode. We finished up breakfast and cleaned up. Everyone else was getting ready for mass, but we decided that since none of us had showered, or even brushed our teeth yet, we were just going to skip mass this week. We hung out for a little longer, then went home. When we got home, everyone went to bed and the whole family took a nice, much needed nap. When we woke up, it was time for the Bengals game, so we all hung out in the family room cheering on the orange and black! The Bengals won, so this kept the Who Dey Crew happy!

















Izzie roots for the Bengals!


















Julia says. "Who Dey!"




























Paige is the Bengals #1 fan!



After the game, I went to the grocery store, came home and made dinner. Then it was baths and bed for all 5 of the kiddos. Once they were in bed, I went out for some drinks and girl talk with a few neighbors.
An unplanned, but lovely family breakfast, our house didn't explode, a Bengals win and a night out with the girls. What more could I ask for? Especially considering how badly the day began. In the time that we have known about and had the babies, we have learned many lessons, but I think that the main thing they have taught me is to roll with it. I have always been pretty type 'A' and wanted to control everything. Well, guess what? I can't. These kids have shown me that I don't need to control everything, just how I react to it. If I get tense and upset, things almost always end badly, but today was a perfect example of just taking things as they come and even an awful morning can turn into a really good day.
"Be still and know that I am God."

No comments:

Post a Comment