Monday, November 30, 2009

A Very Thankful Thanksgiving

Let me just start off by saying I love Thanksgiving. Yes, I love my Mom's stuffing and pie, but there is so much more to it than that. I love all holidays, but often there is so much stress and craziness beforehand (buying gifts, getting up decorations...) that you end up wondering if it is worth it. Not Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is just about gathering around family and loved ones and being thankful for your blessings. As we have been abundantly blessed, this always ends up being an emotional day for me. I know that I do not deserve the amazing family and wonderful life with which I have been blessed, but I do thank God for them every day.
Fortunately, my husband's family celebrates Thanksgiving the weekend before (see earlier post), so we are free to spend all day Thanksgiving Day with my family. For the last two years (since having the quads), we have hosted my family for Thanksgiving. This is no small undertaking. I am the fifth of eight children. At this point we are up to 16 adults and 11 children. This is only my parents, my siblings, their spouses and children. While it is some work cleaning and getting ready to have everyone over, it is actually easier than dragging the kids over to someone else's house and bringing high chairs, and all the other accessories that come with four 1 yr olds. While I technically host, I am not much of a cook. My Mother still handles most of the food, then my siblings and I fill in all of the side dishes. In preparation for the big day, I made sure that the camera battery was charged (a step I almost always forget, so I was particularly proud of myself) and left the camera on the kitchen counter figuring that was where most of the action would be. That afternoon, I went to take a picture of my sister Cathy and couldn't find the camera. I looked everywhere. I knew that I had left it out, but it was gone. For some reason, I never thought to ask Rod (you know, the only other adult that lives in my house) if he knew where it was and I just gave up. Well, that morning Rod had seen the camera sitting on the counter and thought it might get hurt in the crazy rush of cooking, so he put it up in the office. He was trying to be helpful. So I have no pictures of the day. Oh well.
The big moment of the day was when my youngest sister Tessa, 23 in grad school, and her boyfriend of 3 yrs, Ray, showed up. They announced they were engaged! He had proposed the weekend before. My Father knew it was coming because as a proper gentleman, Ray had asked his blessing, but Daddy didn't know when. Everyone has gotten to know and really likes Ray. We are all so excited for him to officially become a part of our family. I was amazed at how emotional I became over this. Tessa is our baby. I remember her being born. I just can't believe that she is all grown up and getting married. I did mention possible flower girls and ring bearers. She is Paige's Godmother... May God bless Tessa an Ray and give them a lifetime of happiness together.
Another year and so very very much to be thankful for. Thank you God for our many blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment