Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

Yes, I know that I have still not posted any Christmas pictures and I promise that they are coming, but I want to write (type) down my resolutions while they are on my mind. I spent 2008 cooking and having quads. 2009 figuring out what to do with quads. Now, I need to get myself and my life in order. The new year seems to be the perfect opportunity to do just that. For the most part, these are just things I want to focus on this year, and in the coming years. So in no particular order:

1. Pay better attention to my health. Yes, I want to (and probably should) lose weight, but I am not worrying about numbers on the scale or the tag in my jeans. I have been worrying about everyone else's health and not even thought about mine. In October, I was sick. I knew that I was sick, but did I go to the doctor? No. Not for 2 weeks. By the time I got there, I was completely miserable and even on medication it took days before I was even close to myself. Had I gone when I first realized that I was sick, I never would have gotten so worn down and would have bounced right back.
When I was trying to conceive my first son(6yrs ago), my RE recommended exercise. He said obviously it would benefit me to be fit and at a healthy weight when I did conceive, but also it can help relieve some of the incredible stress that goes along with infertility. He was correct. I will never say that I love to exercise, but I am always glad that I did it afterward. Excluding walks around the neighborhood, I have not exercised once since having the quads nearly 16 mos ago-- and I certainly wasn't exercising during that pregnancy! I really want to get started. Not necessarily some major program, but get my butt moving again.
No more mindless eating. I am bad about not eating while I'm watching the kids. Then, when they are all napping, rather than having a healthy lunch, I just grab whatever out of the fridge or pantry and munch. Not ideal. I plan our dinners to be healthy. I need to have healthy lunches and snacks planned and ready for me just like I do for the kids.

2. More hubby time! I adore my husband. (Let me give a quick Happy Anniversary Honey! Love you!-- today is 13 years from our first date...) He is a wonderful husband and an amazing father! In his desire to provide for his family, he is quite the workaholic. He works long hours, typically 6 days a week. I know that I am incredibly fortunate that he provides well enough for our family that I am able to stay home with my kids and we are not saddled with debt or financial stress. That being said, I miss him and due to the stress of being alone with all 5 kids for so much time, I am often just kind of burnt out when he does finally get home. I need to make an effort to a) tell him how grateful I am for all that he does for this family, and b) schedule more time for just the 2 of us. A lot of "experts" recommend weekly date nights. Well, that is just not a possibility for us. I do think that we can manage monthly date nights, though. We need to get out and remember how much we really do enjoy one another's company as people, not just as co-parents.

3. This may sound insignificant, but I need to conquer the chaos that is our babies' clothes. Their dresser and closet situation is out of hand and I really want to get a handle on that. That is more of a now issue than an ongoing one, but seriously affects my life every day! We have 2 closets and 1 large dresser dedicated to their clothes, and it is completely disorganized. I must get this straightened out.

4. Get the kids out of the house (somewhere- anywhere!) more often. Since I am usually going it on my own, the stress that comes with taking 1 four year old and 4 one year olds anywhere often stops me before we have even started. As the babies get bigger, they need more stimulation and a better variety of activities than I can offer them at home. Also, their poor big brother has missed out on a lot of things in the last year or so. I have taken them places successfully by myself and I just need to bite the bullet and do it more often. Of course, as I write this it is snowing and about 22 degrees outside, so that is a challenge in this area, but maybe I can start slowly and by spring, really be up and running.

Well, there you go. There are certainly more things that need to be done for my home and life to be in order, by these are my priorities for the coming year. Hopefully, in 2011, I can just continue what I am already doing!

1 comment:

  1. I seriously cannot imagine having to get 5 children ready to go anywhere.
    I sometimes don't go anywhere with the stress of two little ones melting down and sometimes three...
    I admire anyone who survives multiples and outings..

    Cute kids!

    ReplyDelete