Sunday, January 24, 2010

What's in a Name?

This week at Multiples and More, the 'Question of the Week' was about naming multiples. I've spoken some about naming my babies, but this is a topic that really interests me. I love to hear other multiples' names. I'm always interested in the process as well. It was really tough for us. It was fun, but began to become a stress as I got further and further along and we still did not have names for everyone.
First, let's list the names:

Isabella Rose
Julia Kay
Andrew Douglas
Paige Judith


How did you choose your multiples' names?

I have to say, my husband is a wonderful man and I am blessed to have such an amazing husband and father for my children, but he was not particularly helpful. He can occasionally have a somewhat childish sense of humor, so he was in charge of thinking of how the name could be teased. I figured if he thought of it, all of the other 7yo would too. He vetoed a lot of my name suggestions, but suggested very few himself. His main contribution was Izzie's name. Early on he said he wanted to name one of the girls Isabella and call her Izzie. Since he suggested so few names, I couldn't nix his one name he felt strongly about.
I have always wanted a daughter named Julia. I love the name. I prefer Julia, but I am fine if she wants to go by Julie. She isn't necessarily named after it, but I love the song "Julia" by the Beatles (it's on the White Album.) I often sing this to her.
Drew was named the day we found out I was pregnant. Since we had so much trouble conceiving, we thought this may be our last pregnancy. I naively assumed I was having one baby. Since we have an older son, I said that I kind of hoped for a boy so that he could have a brother. The name Andrew had been in my head a lot lately and I mentioned Andrew Douglas to Rod. He liked it a lot, so it was decided- if we had a boy he would be Andrew Douglas, but go by Drew.
Paige was our toughest. I went to my ultrasound at 30w5d and grabbed a Parents magazine to take with me to read while waiting. Well, that appointment landed me in the hospital. That first night in the hospital, I read the magazine which happened to have an article about baby names with tons of name possibilities. This was when I found Paige. I liked it, but I didn't think Rod would, so I didn't mention it right away. For a few weeks, we tossed around names, but couldn't agree on our final first name. Finally, I mentioned Paige and Rod really liked it. Why did I wait so long?
It was only a few days before their birth, but finally we had four first names we both liked. Middle names? Rod had to learn some of those in the delivery room.


Did you stick with family names?

All of the middle names are family names. Izzie's Rose is after my sister Karen Rose. The babies were born on their Aunt Karen's birthday, so it seemed appropriate. Julia's Kay is my mother's middle name. Drew's Douglas is Rod's middle name. Paige's Judith is my mother in law's first name.


How do you feel about "matchy" names?

I have nothing against "matchy" names, but we were having enough trouble without the additional restrictions. We kind of considered the same first letter, but would want to include our older son, Will. We couldn't find much we liked with 'W'.


Did you worry about their names "coordinating?"

They don't necessarily coordinate, but I think they sound nice grouped together. That was all I cared about.


Did you name your babies before you met them, or wait until you saw them to assign names?

I feel a little guilty, but we just named the girls in alphabetical order when they came out. Drew was obvious, but otherwise, we just assigned them as they came out.


What were your second choices?

There were a few girl names that very nearly made the cut. I love Claire, but Rod was always very lukewarm toward it. The one that I still think about sometimes Is Eliana. I was talking to Rod's 16yo niece about names and said I love Ellie, but didn't love Eleanor. She mentioned Eliana and at first I rejected it. What made me change my mind was when she told me it means, "The Lord has answered my prayer!" How perfect is that? Why I ultimately decided against it, was it just felt too exotic for us. I didn't know if our family could pull off a name like that. Sometimes I imagine if Izzie had been Eliana instead. I think she could have been a little Ellie. Well, maybe the Lord has a surprise girl out there for us...


Did you consider the popularity of a name as a deciding factor?

I really didn't want to give any of the kids super popular names. Considering Isabella was the 2nd most popular girl's name for 2008, I clearly failed. I just hope most go by Bella and not Izzie. Andrew is also pretty popular, but I don't know how many go by Drew.


It was a long and sometimes stressful process, but I am very happy with my kiddos' names. I hope they don't hate us in the future for saddling them with some terrible name.

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE the names you chose. Paige was my second choice for a girl name, and Drew was on my list as well.. if only my husband would have cooperated:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family is just adorable...
    www.twin-spiration.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm Angela from the Friesen Funny Farm. Just popped over from M&M. Our babies almost share a birthday. Our trio was born on 9.9.08! I can't imagine one more baby! But you do what you need to do! Looks like you're doing amazing! And they are VERY cute kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great names! I loved Paige too but hubby vetoed it. Glad someone is getting some good use out of it. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I stopped by from M&M - great names :) Thanks for sharing how you picked them! We have a Julianna but I love Julia too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So....is it just my imagination or did you mention a "suprise baby girl"? in that post? Are you edluding to something? or just a wishful/hopeful thought?! NOt trying to be rude, just an observation I made while reading your blog. BTW, love the names of your kids. Funny thought I just told a friend the other day that I REALLY like Eleanor for a lil' girl. lol. I like a few classic names, but mostly prefer names that most people wouldn't have thought of naming their kids, like Cuyler for a boy, or Emmaline for a girl. Found a REALLY awesome name list on another blog and can't help, but WANT to be pregnant with one my own! You're children are beautiful, all 5 of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the sweet comments! It was nice to hear from some new people. Yes, Joni, I mentioned a surprise girl, but I think that is just a fantasy. I would love one more, but Hubby and I have agreed- no more RE. I've never gotten pg w/o assitance, so most likely our family is complete and I am okay with that. I mean look at those great kids! It's not exactly like I haven't been abundantly blessed. But it would be nice...

    ReplyDelete