Thursday, February 11, 2010

Martha Stewart Would be So Ashamed!

So with all of our snow cancelling school the last few days, I've been trying to keep Will busy and happy without being able to play outside and not wanting to resort to planting him in front of the TV. This weekend when I was at the grocery store, I bought a sugar cookie mix. Yesterday, I decided that Will and I could make Valentine's cookies. He was excited about the idea, so once the babies were napping, we got started.

We had a small hiccup with the mix. In order to make cut-out cookies like we wanted, you were supposed to add all-purpose flour to the mix. I didn't have any all-purpose flour, but I did have whole wheat flour. Substitution made.

So we finish the mix until it is a thick dough. Well, I hadn't really thought it through, but, as you may have guessed by making sugar cookies from a mix (my Mother was horrified!), I'm not really a baker. Because of this, I do not own a rolling pin. Well, I may not be a baker, but I can think on my feet! In case you ever need to know, sugar cookie dough can be rolled out with a bottle of rum. Yep, my 4 year old and I rolled out the dough with a bottle of Captain Morgan's. Norman Rockwell never painted that one, did he?

After we got the dough rolled out to about the right thickness, I told Will, "Now comes the fun part. We get to use cookie cutters!" I don't know why I was sure I had heart shaped cookie cutters (other than I seem to imagine I have baking gear I don't really have.) When we couldn't find any hearts, I told Will that we could just cut hearts with a butter knife. Unfortunately, I had already talked up the cookie cutters. He really wanted to use them, so we have Christmas trees, ghosts, pumpkins and bunnies. They don't really scream Valentine's Day, so they? I tried to at least keep the decorations Valentine's-y.

After we baked and decorated the cookies, came the good part. We got to eat some! Will was very excited, but didn't finish his one cookie. I tried one and they just weren't very good. I swallowed my pride and called my Mom. Turns out whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour aren't really interchangeable. Oh. They weren't gross, they just weren't good. Besides, you put frosting and sugar on most anything, it's edible.

Okay, so I am willing to concede that this was not my finest moment. I will not, however, call it a failure. Will and I had plenty of fun making and decorating the cookies. I then had fun later that night having Will proudly show the cookies to his Dad and have him eat one. How could Dad tell his sweet son the cookie wasn't good? He had to eat the whole thing! Good times, good times...

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't call it a FAILURE. Afterall, you did provide lots of entertainment, right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! The bottle of rum is hilarious! Sounds like a great time!

    ReplyDelete