Monday, April 12, 2010

I Know Nightmares Aren't Funny, But...

I know that nightmares are very real at the time and very scary. Especially when you are four years old and reality and fiction sometimes get blurred. I try to be a loving and sympathetic Mother, but sometimes something strikes me as funny and I have never been good at controlling my laughter.

A couple of nights ago everyone is asleep in their room. A little after 1:00 a.m. I hear Will crying down the hall. I go to his room to see what is wrong and he tells me he had a nightmare and he is still scared. I climb in his bed and cuddle him and comfort him and assure him that there is nothing to be afraid of. He is safe and protected and, "God is bigger than the Boogie man." (yes, we are big Veggietale fans) He tells me that he didn't have a nightmare about the Boogie man. I asked what his nightmare was about. He said, "the little men in my nose."

Huh?!?!

He said, "You know- the little men climbing in my nose!"

After a few more moments of this, I remember. We had been watching tv the evening before and there was a commercial for a product called Omnaris. In the commercial, a little army of men climb into a person's nose (I think to clear it or something, I don't really remember much). At the time Will commented that he didn't want men to climb into his nose, but I assured him that no one would. I didn't realize how much it bothered him.

Anyway, I was a bad Mom and laughed when I realized what he was afraid of. Of course, Will got upset all over again and said, "it's not funny!"

As my penance, I spent the rest of the night in bed with him. Protecting him from the Omnaris men trying to climb into his nose.



I couldn't find a picture of the men climbing into the nose,

but you have to admit it is a bizarre ad.

2 comments:

  1. HAHA!! I mean, poor Will! :)

    I agree that it's a very strange commercial. My first thought when I saw it was of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry's two "brains" are playing devil/angel on his shoulder. The devil (aka Jerry's "other brain") wears a helmet and looks oh-so-much like the Omnaris men. Just don't ever tell Will what Jerry's "other brain" is, or he'll really have nightmares about what's going up his nose!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAha! We're not there yet, as my twins are just 11 months, but this one made me laugh out loud! Thanks, I really needed a giggle this morning. I don't blame the poor kid; commercials like that are kind of frightening!

    ReplyDelete