Saturday, April 3, 2010

Yes, We're Still Here

I can't believe how long it has been since I posted anything. We have had a few hectic weeks around here and I knew I was neglecting the blog, but I was shocked when I finally looked and saw how long it had been! And I hate that I left on such a downer negative post.

Well, that day did end, but the next day brought its own excitement. Over the next couple of weeks, we have had sick kids and sick Mommy. We did have some good times in there too (I'll post some updates and pictures soon), but a lot of time and energy went in to getting everybody healthy.

All of the kids had colds, but for the most part, were fighting them just fine. Poor little Julia, however, just couldn't kick it. It hung around and she took a turn for the worse.
Here is our little JuJu. You can see the messy, crowded, incredibly loud playroom all around her and she still fell asleep right in the middle of everything! I took her to the doctor and found out that she had pneumonia! She was pretty pitiful and it took a little while, but the antibiotics worked. We had a re-check yesterday and her pneumonia is officially gone. Unfortunately, she, along with a couple of her siblings, has seasonal allergies. As happy as I am to see spring arrive, it brings snotty noses and watery eyes to my children and me. We are figuring out a proper course of treatment for the little ones and hopefully will have everyone cleared up soon!
Just as Julia was showing signs of improvement, Drew began wheezing. Just a little at first, then he had a full-on asthma attack with the the rapid breathing, wheezing and coughing. It was terrible! Oddly enough, he was also running a fever. Asthma is bad, but it doesn't cause fevers. I was convinced he had pneumonia like his sister. When we got to the pediatrician, the poor little guy was in bad shape. The Dr. examined him and said she couldn't even tell if he had pneumonia until we gave him a breathing treatment. His wheezing was so loud, she couldn't hear his lung sounds! Well, the good news is he didn't have pneumonia. The bad news is he had a double ear infection and his asthma was completely out of control. Without being too dramatic, I will say it is horrible to sit with your baby and listen to them struggle to breathe. It took over a week and several trips to the doctor, but I think we finally have him on a good course of treatment for both his asthma and the allergies that worsen it.

Drew is such a good boy about taking his breathing treatments! Here he is on the couch in the playroom. I put a kid's show on tv, set him up and he'll sit nicely the whole time without complaining. Such a good little patient!
Throughout all of this, Mommy had allergies as well. I ended up with a sinus infection and an ear infection. Mommies never get sick days, but certainly not if their little ones are sick. Isn't it amazing how we will just plow through, then at the end of the day, I would whine to my husband how awful I felt. I did get some medicine and I'm finally feeling better too. I'm pretty sure these seasonal allergies aren't going anywhere, so hopefully we can figure out how to treat them so we can all get out there and enjoy spring without paying so much!
I'm knocking on wood as I say this, but the Lachmann family is healthy again! I love our pediatrician and their staff, but I would be just fine going a while without seeing them. I will try to post some of the good times we had over the last few weeks (there really were some good times in there!). I tried to read some other blogs occasionally, but I'm trying to catch up now. It's good to be back!

2 comments:

  1. Glad everyone is back in good shape! Hope you all stay that way!!! Can't wait to see some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay you are my new hero! One thing I DO try to keep in mind is that everything is all relative. You are amazing just for being the mom that you are. Quads so young still. I know you must be tired and glad to hear you had a great lunch with a friend. You are right, I have had many of those days too where people look at me and compliment me on a job well-done. I'm thinking, yeah I pretty much just got lucky this time. So good point - thanks!

    I read your last entry as well. Ugh. One of my older ones has accidents all the time and I can't tell you how many times I have lost it because her poop/pee mess on top of the babies is just more than I can take!

    Anyway, I look forward to reading more. Beautiful family!!

    ReplyDelete