Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Eating with the Quads

Kimberly over at the King Quads, recently did a post about what her quads are eating at 9 mos.

http://thekingsquad.blogspot.com/2010/05/what-were-eating-at-9-months.html

While I was looking at her post, I realized that for the life of me I couldn't remember what the babes were eating at 9 mos. Since this is supposed to be a journal and baby book for me, I thought that it would be good to do a post about what my quads are eating now.

First of all, I had to be completely honest. No making their diet seem more healthy or exotic than it really is. I made sure to feed them very normal meals that they eat on a regular basis. No point in documenting it if you are not going to be real.

Now, I know that my babies eat a lot of food. My sister has a daughter who just turned 2. She is only 4 mos older than the quads and every time we eat with them, my sister is shocked at how much food my kids eat. I never really thought much about it. We don't really snack, so I just wrote it off as that. They only eat 3 meals a day, so we have to make the most of them. Usually, though, I feed the quads in "courses." I give them a vegetable, then a main course, then fruit(s) and maybe a treat afterward. Broken up like this, it just didn't seem like that much. For this, I put their whole meal on one plate at one time. My goodness! They do eat a lot of food. Everyone is at a healthy weight or a bit thin and most of the food is healthy, so I'm not going to worry about it too much, but I was surprised.

Breakfast:
I know "breakfast is the most important meal of the day," but I don't usually eat much then. In fact, I never ate breakfast at all until my first pregnancy. I started then and I still need to eat something, but typically I just have coffee and yogurt. I guess because of this, breakfast is the kids' smallest meal of the day also.

This is a very standard breakfast. A baby cereal bar, half of a banana and a small yogurt per child.

Lunch:
About four hours later, they have lunch. Now, for lunch and dinner they eat a much wider variety of foods, but I thought for the purposes of this post, I would show a simple "go-to" lunch and dinner.

Here is lunch. Half (two quarters) of a grilled cheese (provolone cheese on whole wheat bread), green beans, Mandarin oranges, blueberries and a few graham cracker sticks.
After lunch is nap and a few hours after that is
Dinner:
3 chicken nuggets, sliced carrots, a slice of cheese, strawberries, grapes and a few vanilla wafers.
Like I said,sometimes they do eat better meals and frankly, some days they probably eat worse meals, but this is a pretty average selection of what the quadruplets are eating now.



1 comment:

  1. Do they all eat all of what you put on the plate? I think that maybe we're doing too big of a snack in the afternoon and that's why ours are not eating dinner as well. Looks great to me! I agree that my post is suppose to be a journal/baby book and I've been getting off track lately. How big are your babies now? Maybe you posted it recently, I'll go check.

    ReplyDelete