Saturday, June 26, 2010

For the Love of Elmo

A little while ago my babies discovered, and fell in love with, a furry red monster. Yes, Elmo is huge in our house. The quads LOVE him! We have tons of Sesame Street books, but they have become, "Where's Melmo?" When I read to them they race to point him out and yell, "Melmo!" To put it simply, Elmo is the biggest thing going around here.

Recently, I was at Babies R Us (you know, my second home) when I came across Elmo sandals on sale. I have been looking for casual summer sandals and knew the babies would be thrilled with these. The Elmo sandals were considered "boy sandals." They had pink and purple Abby Cadabby sandals, but I knew if I came home with three pair of Abby Cadabby sandals and one pair of Elmo, we would have a riot! I bought all four babies the Elmo sandals.

Since birth, Paige has been very sensitive. Truthfully, I worry it may be too sensitive, but we're talking about things with their pediatrician. Anyhow, Paige has always been more sensitive than her siblings. Izzie's hair is finally long enough for her to wear pigtails (I have to say it is completely adorable.) When Paige first saw Izzie with her hair up, she wanted me to put hers up too. The little bit of tugging that comes with putting hair up was enough to change her mind. She is fine with a barrette in her hair, but doesn't want me tugging her hair so much. This is just one example of how things bother Paige that don't bother the others.

So back to the Elmo sandals. I brought them home and showed them to the crew. As I expected, they were thrilled! They insisted on putting them on right away. I cut off the tags and we put them on and everyone was happy. Well, everyone except Paige. See, the sandals have a thong between the kids' first two toes. They have never worn sandals like this and Paige didn't like it one bit. I didn't think that it was too big of a deal. I would just return Paige's pair and find her a different pair. Oh no I wouldn't!! She was not going to let me take off her awesome Elmo sandals!! Poor little Paige was trapped in this awful state for over an hour. She cried about the strap between her toes, but would not take the sandals off. It was rough, but after trying everything I could think of to make her happy, I decided to just let her ride it out and take some pictures.

After about 80 minutes (not exaggerating one bit...), she finally calmed down and was fine the rest of the day. She wore her sandals and played and was fine. She just had a tough time adjusting. Poor little sweetie.


Poor little Paige in misery over her new sandals.



The coolest sandals ever!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh bless her heart! I can totally imagine a couple of mine being just like that! And I don't blame her - I hate those things too. I feel like I'm the only girl on the planet who doesn't wear them! I know you are up to your ears in mommyhood but also I can only imagine the neat experience you are having. I bet you are laughing constantly (when you are not crying!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hysterical!!! What a quandary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's rather hilarious!

    Can't live with 'em and can't live without 'em...so I'll just sit here and cry!

    ReplyDelete