Thursday, June 10, 2010

Harness-- Fail!

Well, today the weather was beautiful here, so I thought that it would be a good opportunity to take the crew on a practice walk around the neighborhood using their harnesses. It did not go well. That is putting it mildly. Very mildly.

Izzie actually loved the freedom and would still be out there right now if it weren't for the others. Julia didn't mind the harness, but is apparently incapable of walking in a straight line. She wanted to wander around and would just pull until she fell on her bottom. Drew would walk, but he cried the whole time. It was like some awful death march. Then from time to time he would just stop and scream. Izzie didn't want to stop, so she and Julia would take this opportunity to wrap themselves around my legs. Paige simply refused to move from the beginning, so I was carrying her the whole time. Will was riding his bike and was just annoyed that he had to keep stopping because we couldn't keep up. I can only imagine what my neighbors thought of the whole spectacle.


My little critters
(You can't see Paige is in my arms and Drew is crying)
So help me out. How do I make this work? Are they just too young? Do we just need more time for them to get used to them? I really think these can work well for us if we could just figure them out. All advice is appreciated!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry, no advice here, but I will be checking back to see what others say ... I was *just* looking at harnesses online today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If possible, I would try to take them out individually or two at a time for a few minutes. And/or let them wear the harnesses in the house so they get used to the feeling of the harness on their back. Each of these tips "might" help them become more comfortable. Good luck, I used a harness with my son and he was a "runner," it saved both of us a lot of stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep working on it, Beth! My kids still don't do the greatest with them, but they are getting better. They definitely did better at the zoo than they do at home. Probably because they were so interested in everything going on around them and there was alot of people, so they didn't want to get to far from us anyways! One thing that definitely helps is to have more than one person with you! It is nearly impossible to take them by myself because they get tangled up in each other! My hubby says it's like walking a pack of dogs! We had lots of luck at the zoo cuz we had my niece and my mom and dad with us, so we were never hanging on to more than one at a time. Sorry, that's not very encouraging cuz I know you want to be able to take them out by yourself! Just keep working with them, and try to find times when you can have help with the kiddos when you go for a walk, and eventually they will get the hang of it so you can go by yourself!
    They are definitely worth it though! My Cooper is a runner and it works wonders with him! He fought it the most at first, but now it's a great thing for him!
    Good luck, and let me know how it goes!
    Rachel
    Oh yeah, tell Will he is a great big brother for trying to be patient with his little sisters and brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love you, Beth! I've said it before and I'll say it again....You are so brave! We have not tried them yet. Thought about it the other day. I'm laughing at how it went, totally knowing that's how it will be for us as well. Keep trying, maybe around the house for a few days?

    Will you try potty training next week, so I can glean more wisdom from you? haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness...I'm sorry I don't have any words of wisdom, but I just wanted to say, "May the force be with you!" :)

    I look forward to seeing your progress...hang in there!

    ReplyDelete