Sunday, September 19, 2010

Vacation Lessons

We have successfully completed our first vacation as a family of seven! We drove to the Outer Banks of North Carolina (13 hours on the road.) We stayed in a big, beautiful beach house with three of my sisters and their families and a family friend and her family. A total of 9 adults and 12 children (with a 13th in my sister's belly.) We had a lot of fun and some trying times. I'll post more (and some pictures) in the coming days, but today I'll list some of the lessons we learned on our trip.

-- I love the genius who came up with the brilliant idea of putting televisions and dvd players in vehicles. Love him!! Parents of the world should unite and arrange some sort of award for this person. Maybe a parade or something...

-- The mosquitoes in North Carolina are enormous!!! Seriously! They were more like vultures than bugs!

--As worried as we were about having four 2 year olds at the beach, one extremely active, slightly crazy, completely fearless five year old gave his mother much more grey hair than all the quads combined.

-- Falling down a flight of wooden stairs hurts. It really, really hurts.

-- I've always kept the quads on a schedule. While this is helpful 97% of the time, when they are off their schedule, things get sticky.

-- I have the best sisters ever!!! I mean it. They helped out so much and were so patient things didn't go smoothly. I'm so lucky to have them!

--I love watching my kids play with their cousins. I grew up across the country from my cousins, so we have never been close. I would love to see my kids grow up being friends with their cousins.

-- Hatteras Island is breathtakingly beautiful! My sisters and I spent the week trying to come up with a plan where we could stay on the island forever. We're still working on it, but I have not given up hope.

-- I have five pretty good kids. Two long road trips and a week spent out of their element and we still had more good time than bad. Yeah, they're a pretty good crew. I'm a lucky lady.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a good time!! And I want to hear the falling down the stairs story ... hope you're okay!

    ReplyDelete