Monday, December 13, 2010

My Favorite Ornaments

So, Mandy over at My Life as Described by Twin Trials and Triumphs started a link-up about Christmas ornaments. I wanted to join in because we have actually been talking about this at our house lately. Last weekend we put up our tree. Rod has never liked to help me decorate the tree, so he played the "quad card." He offered to play with the quads in the basement while Will and I set up the tree on the first floor. Since four two year olds "helping" with the tree made me very nervous, I agreed. I actually ended up letting Will hang almost all of the ornaments. As I took each one out of the tote and unwrapped it, I would tell him about the ornament- when we got it, if someone else gave it to us... I told him that these ornaments held special memories for our family. Unfortunately, a few days later, Drew got a couple ornaments off the tree and broke them. As I cleaned up the mess, I heard Will scold Drew, "You broke our family's memories!"

We have a lot of ornaments and most of them are special to me. Many were given to us as gifts, so those of course are sentimental. We also have the "baby's first Christmas" ones that always make me nostalgic. I won't, however, bore you by sharing every single ornament on the tree. I'll just mention a couple favorites.

The Swarovski Crystal Co. has a line of snowflake ornaments. They release a new one each year and, like real snowflakes, no two are alike. Since Rod and I have been married, we have bought a snowflake each year. We have been married ten years now, so this Christmas is our eleventh snowflake. By the time we have been married fifty years, our entire tree will be snowflakes.

Back in 2004, we discovered that we were pregnant for the first time (with Will) the weekend after Thanksgiving. We decided to hold off on telling our families until Christmas. While I was out doing some Christmas shopping a few weeks before Christmas, I found this ornament. It is a little crib. On the pillow it says, "Parents To Be." The star in the mobile says, "2004." I had to buy it! I brought it home, but we didn't want to hang it on the tree, because we were afraid someone would see it and the secret would be out. We put it on top of our entertainment center. Whenever anybody came over, we would move it around and hide it behind pictures. I will always cherish this ornament because it immediately takes me back to not only the joy of my first pregnancy, but the excitement of having our big secret!

Those are just a couple ornaments that will always be special to me. I look forward to adding to our collection as the crew grows.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with those snowflake ornaments...they are breathtaking! I love the vision of 50 of them on your tree one day!

    And what a sweet story about the Parents-to-Be ornament. I love it, too. :)

    Thanks so much for linking up, Beth! I enjoyed the short tour of your Christmas tree ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Stopping by from Mandy's link up. Love the crystal star ornament....it is beautiful! It brought a smile to my face reading about the parents to be ornament. Too sweet! Your children are adorable. I am new to your blog, but look forward to reading your posts. Andrea (mollyandluke.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for some unique snowflake ornaments for our special snowflakes. Love ornaments and what they mean. It's cute that Will thought Drew broke the memories! Love it!
    Have a very merry Christmas if I don't make it back before then! It's been fun to get to know you through blogland. Hope you have a fabulous 2011! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the snow flakes! Beautiful. I am visiting from Mandy's place. I thought I had a tough gig with a 5 year old, 4 year old and twin 2 year olds! Hats off to you!!! I am going to fish around your blog for 'the story'. Hope all is well and a very Merry Christmas to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cheat on this one. My mother-in-law always comes at Thanksgiving and she likes to decorate the tree with the kids. So our new 'tradition' is to make sure the tree is ready for them to decorate while she's at our house. LOL They argue much less when they're doing it with her than they do with me. :0)

    ReplyDelete