Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Valentine

So the question of the week over at Multiples and More is- How did you meet your Valentine? This story goes way back and varies a bit depending on which of us is telling it. Well, it's my blog, so you'll get my version. His is a gross exaggeration anyway...

Anyway, when I was 13 years old and in the eighth grade, I met a handsome young man named Rod. He was a freshman in high school and super dreamy ;o) I had a crush on him right away. My older brother, Tom, was in his home room, so I had him pass notes to Rod (in hindsight- what a nice big brother! I'm sure he wanted no part of his little sister's crush, but he always delivered the notes for me.) Rod replied with friendly notes, but being a big man in high school, he wasn't going to go out with a little girl in middle school, so eventually my crush faded away. We both moved on and dated other people. I dated a couple of his friends over our years in high school and he actually dated a good friend of mine for two years!

So, years passed and we were friends, but nothing more. Then in December of 1996, we were both home from different colleges for winter break. I went to the movies with my friend Alyssa and he was there with his friend Jon. We ran into each other and ended up sitting together, then going out for a bite to eat afterward. Our first official date was January 2, 1997. We knew right away that this was it, but since we were still young and in school we dated nearly four years before we got married. And the rest, as they say, is history-- those kids had no idea what lay ahead.





For those of you wondering about Rod's version, he likes to tell people that I never really got over my eighth grade crush and stalked him for six years until he finally gave in. The truth is, I did not pine for him for all of those years, but I did get my man!

2 comments:

  1. Aww! That is a very sweet story! I love that you met so young and eventually ended up together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Husbands somehow always have a side of the story that makes them look a little better.

    ReplyDelete