Monday, February 28, 2011

Our Top 10 Reading List

Multiples & More's question of the week is

What are Your Favorite Books to Read With Your Children?

I love to read and all of my children love to be read to. We have tons of books and everyday read some. I had a hard time trying to pick my favorites, so don't consider this a thorough or exact list. These are the first ten books that came to mind which we read often or that I treasure.


10. Love You Forever by Robert Munsch and Sheila McGraw

Yes, this is a classic baby shower gift, but there is a reason for that. It is very sweet. It gets a little nutty (climbing through you grown child's window?), but it is about a mother's love never ending. As the mother in this book says, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

9. I Love you Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti-Shustak

Sweet book about how we love every part of our little ones. My kids love the illustrations and laugh at them.


8. How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague

Love this series of books!! If you have a dinosaur lover (like my big boy Will) you need to check these out. They ask how dinosaurs do everyday things, such as say goodnight. They ask if the dinosaurs are wild or loud or rough. Surprisingly, the dinosaurs are very well mannered. These books are funny and cute and encourage good behavior.

7. How do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague
Our other favorite in the series.

6. Pajama Time! by Sandra Boynton
We love Sandra Boynton!! Her books all have wonderful rhythm, making them so much fun to read out loud. They also have adorable illustrations of her silly animals. I had to go ahead and list a bunch of hers (they are probably the most read books around here) and I could recite any of them to you anytime. They've been read that many times.


5. Moo, Baa, LaLaLa! by Sandra Boynton


4. Barnyard Dance! by Sandra Boynton




3. The Belly Button Book by Sandra Boynton
This was the first book that Will loved. We read it over and over and over. It will always hold a special place for me.


2. You Are Special by Max Lucado
Absolutely LOVE this book!! Will was first given this book by his Aunt Cathy and I have given to many others since then. Wonderful Christian fable about not judging others and, even more so, not letting others' judgements of you affect how you see yourself. A must read!


1. I Love You the World by Allia Zobel-Nolan
This is my favorite children's book. Will calls it, "The book that makes Mommy cry." It is a sweet book exploring how much mommies love their "bunnies." If you haven't read it, it is certainly worth checking out.


I love reading with my kids and they love to be read to, so I'm really excited to look at everyone else's favorites! Hopefully I'll find some new books to add to the mix!

4 comments:

  1. I like the Dinosaur books suggestions. I don't think we have any of those titles yet. And, I love that they encourage good manners, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a number of these, but I'll definitely check out a few of the others...thanks for the suggestions! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post we'll have to go through our list of books and let you know what our top 10 are. They have so many books and just love reading and looking at the pictures. We recently moved the couch and realized they have so many more books than we thought. There were probably about 20 books pushed up under the couch it crazy. And our couch sits like right on the floor, so its pretty flush with the carpet. We just didn't realize they could push that many books up under the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those books. I have read most of those to my kids and they adore them.

    ReplyDelete