Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Weekend in California

I was born in Anaheim, CA. When I was very young, my family moved to Kentucky, but most of my extended family is still in California. This past weekend, my cousin, Craig, got married, so I went out with my parents and my sisters Cathy and Joanna (and Joanna brought her 6 mo old, Ellie.) That's right. Just me. No kids, not even Rod. It was a strange, but lovely break.




A brief bit about our actual flights. First of all, I have to say Ellie was amazing!! Seriously, she never cried on a plane and barely fussed. She was happy and pleasant or sleeping. An absolute angel!!

Also, on our way there and back, we had a layover at Dallas/Ft Worth. On our way out, Friday morning, as we were sitting at our gate for our connecting flight, we could see a crowd gathering. Then, we heard cheers. There was a second floor balcony over our gate and an entire flight of soldiers were returning. They walked to the end of the hallway and fell into rows. There had to have been 150 or more. Down on our level, the crowds were waving flags and cheering, some holding handmade signs. Then they began to play "God Bless America" over the speakers. It was an incredibly moving moment and I'm glad that we were there for it.




(Me, the Duke, Joanna)


We flew into Santa Ana.

The John Wayne International Airport


Our first evening there, we met up with my father's four siblings and two of my cousins for dinner.




(John, Jane, Daddy, Mary and Carol)

My father with all of his siblings




(Daddy, Mom, Cathy, Joanna and little Ellie in her stroller)


The next morning we got up early (our bodies were still 3hrs ahead) and headed to Newport Beach. It was cold and windy, but nice to get out and put our feet in the sand.


Even though it was early and freezing, the surfers were out



Little Ellie's first time on the beach!

She loved it!!


Joanna, Ellie and me in the ocean.

(Sorry about the faces, it was really cold and windy)


Then we stopped for lunch at MexiCasa. This is a little Mexican place where my parents spent a lot of time while they were dating and in the early years of their marriage. Delicious food! Trust me when I say that it is hard to find Mexican like this in Kentucky.



Ellie thought the menu looked good enough to eat!



My parents under the sign for "their" restaurant.


That afternoon was the wedding. It was lovely and so great to get to see so much family. We all had a good time and Ellie was wonderful again! I'm telling you, this girl was the best traveler ever!



Joanna with our cousin Anna


My cousin Nathan, Cathy and cousin Bob



Cousin Sue, Me, Cathy and Anna



Joanna with Ellie- she put her in the sling, went out to the dance floor, started dancing and Ellie promptly fell asleep. I'm telling you, best baby ever!!!



My Aunt Jane with her boyfriend Bruce and my parents.



All of the cousins!






We had a great weekend! It was lovely to see family that we don't get to see often enough, get to at least be at the beach and get to relax. It was so nice to not change a single diaper all weekend, eat while the food was still hot and linger in bed in the morning. At the same time, I missed my family and was very ready to come back.

5 comments:

  1. How fun Beth! I think it is great you had a weekend to yourself! I am sure your little ones were just as ready to see you as you were to see them! Great family pictures! The bride looked beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, what an awsome break for you. It looks like you had a GREAT time but I know you missed those little arms hugging your neck! ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you got to take this trip and that you had a great time! It's always good to get away for a couple days, and it's even better to come home to your kiddos after being gone! I keep saying I am going to take a mommy vacation and dissapear for a couple of days, but it hasn't happened yet! Some day!
    How awesome that you got to see a group of soldiers come home! I can only imagine how amazing it was to experience that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like much fun was had by all. It's a little weird to be by yourself though, isn't it? I can only imagine how moving it must have been in the airport. Sounds like an awesome experience. (I'm really showing my age by using the word 'awesome' aren't I?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to get away! Did you feel strange at first?

    I think seeing the soldiers must have been amazing!

    And I am jealous you have family somewhere cool to visit. Everyone in my family and my husband's are all in Texas, just more of the same. Would love to have people to go visit somewhere!

    And if you really want good Mexican food then you have to come to Texas sometime. Best Mexican food in the US for sure! That's a sweet pic of your parents though. Glad you had a good trip - I Hope you were able to recharge a bit.

    ReplyDelete