Friday, August 5, 2011

Looking Forward to Some Happy Times!

The last month or so has been pretty rough around here. Okay, it stunk! We had Scarlet fever, Stella got sick, broken arm, had to put Stella down, basement flood, stomach bug, bathroom flood, pinkeye, emergency heart surgery for my husband's grandfather... I could go on, but I think you get the idea. I don't know who or when, but I'm pretty sure someone has cursed my family. Even through this lousy, miserable, terrible, awful, no-good time, we have had some happy moments...



-- We introduced the kids to the movie Annie and they love it! Any time I ask if they want to watch tv or a movie, they yell out, "Annie!" So lately the quads having been 'playing' Annie. All three girls play the role of Annie. Now there are a few male roles for a boy-- Daddy Warbucks, Rooster (the bad guy), Pun Jab... Who do the girls make Drew play? Sandy. The dog. He follows them around on all fours barking while they sing, "Dumb dog! Why are you following me?" For a while I kept suggesting human parts he could play, but really he seems to like being Sandy, so I guess it's okay.




--The other morning I was getting everyone dressed to go play out back. I helped Julia get her shoes on. Then she said, "Mommy, you need to go get dressed." I told her, "I'm already dressed." (I was wearing capri yoga pants and a t-shirt, but remember we were playing in the backyard, not going to a royal ball!) She made a face and said, "Oh. You're wearing that?"

Seriously?!? She's not even three and she's already picking on my clothes? I thought I had more time!



-- Will attended our parish's vacation bible school. We bought a CD of the music to enjoy at home. He was singing along and showing me the moves they taught him at vbs. He thought that they were actually sign language (they weren't-- they were just gestures and things) and he said he could use them to sing about God to people who can't hear. How sweet is that boy?



-- My birthday is at the end of June. My best friend Alyssa's is in mid-July. As our b-day gift to each other, we went out on "Beth & Alyssa's Day of Fun!" We met before lunch, ate lunch out, spent the entire afternoon shopping and strolling and chatting. We ate dinner and even went to a movie afterward. It was so great to spend an entire day together relaxing! We weren't rushed, didn't have our kids with us to wrangle and didn't need to worry about our husbands getting bored with all of the girly activities. We looked at hundreds of shoes, smelled dozens of fragrances, admired aisle after aisle of accessories (and even bought matching rose rings), drooled over expensive jewelry... It was perfection. I needed it now more than ever. What would we do without girlfriends?



-- This weekend all five kids are going to be in Rod's cousin's wedding. We have been practicing and I'm pretty confident that they are going to do a great job. The kids are excited and I am really starting to get excited as well. I'll definitely post with some fabulous pictures. It is a Medieval/Renaissance theme (no, I'm not kidding) so the kids have costumes and are pretty awesome! Just you wait...



In addition to the rehearsal dinner and wedding this weekend, we have a family reunion on Sunday. Then Monday is my big boy Will's sixth birthday! Busy, busy, busy! We're hoping that we can put the unhappy behind us and focus on all of the good, happy times we have ahead!! I am really, really ready to post some happy updates.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like Julia is quite the fashionista!

    Enjoy the festivities this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you guys have had such a rough time lately! It sounds like you had a great day celebrating your birthday, days like that are so nice to have once in a while and you definitely deserved it!
    I can't wait to see pictures from the wedding, it sounds like it will be alot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! When you list it all together you're right - y'all have really been through a lot! Sounds like hopefully you've turned the corner. I want to show my kids Annie! I don't have that movie but I've tried to tell them about it. Such a classic. I love introducing my kids to things like that from our childhood.

    Anyway, all really cute things you listed. Kids are so hard but also make up for it by being so sweet, funny and cute!

    ReplyDelete