Wednesday, August 17, 2011

First Grade!

So today was the big day- Will's first day of 1st grade. He went to half-day kindergarten last year, so this was his first full school day. So far, so good. This morning went smoothly. He was very excited about school. Last year when he started preschool, my sister gave us the book "The Kissing Hand." If you have not read this book, you need to. It is a sweet book about a young raccoon who is nervous to start school. His mother kisses the palm of his hand and tells him any time he needs to, he can put his hand to his cheek and feel her love. We read it again this year and he was ready to go!




My big First Grader





He wanted to make sure and get one with his cool 'Mystery Machine' lunch box




waiting for the bus with our neighbor Cole



(he is a big 4th grader, but has always been very nice to Will)

Now, when the bus pulled up, Cole hopped on and suddenly Will ran over to me and whispered, "I'm scared Mommy." My heart just melted. Part of me wanted to just take him inside and tell him he could stay with me all day. Instead I gave him a hug and told him it would be great and he would have a good time. He didn't look entirely convinced, but he got on the bus. I love when my sweet little guy shows his tender heart.





He did get on the bus :-)


Then he got off this afternoon with only good things to say about his day. He said his teacher is very nice and he only needed to use his 'kissing hand' a few times. Seriously, the sweetest boy ever!





4 comments:

  1. Awww...now I am crying!! Very big boy indeed! So glad he had a great first day! Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...what a sweet boy and a sweet memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We heard The Kissing Hand story at the bookstore a couple of weeks ago...such a very sweet message. I'm glad it helped ease Will's transition to FIRST GRADE. Wow!!!

    And I love that your neighbor is such a nice role model for Will, too...that's got to be an awesome feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so sweet! I hope he has a great year.

    ReplyDelete