Friday, June 8, 2012

Gatlinburg

We took our family vacation to Gatlinburg, TN in the Smoky Mountains this year.  It was a wonderful time!  We brought along Rod's parents and everyone really enjoyed themselves.  It was such an interesting experience.  We went away and didn't take any 'baby gear.'  No strollers- not even a wagon!  My little babies are turning into such big kids.  While I occasionally miss the baby stage, now that we are in the kid stage, it seems like we are able to have more fun with them!  We can go places and try things that would be impossible with four babies.  I'm loving this watching the kids experience these new things!


We stayed four days in Gatlinburg and I took tons of pictures.  I'm trying to control myself and not post every single one, but I'm still going to break the trip down into several different posts.  Here we are on our first full day.  One of the reasons we chose Gatlinburg as our destination was because Rod really wanted to take the kids fishing.  We found a stream where kids under 12 were able to fish without needing to get a license.  The kids were excited to get out there and fish.  Rod was excited.  I was excited for about 15 minutes.  I quickly began to worry that I was going to have a heart attack.  I had too much to worry about!  I was nervous that someone was going to fall in the water.  I didn't trust the vines and growth along the shore.  I was afraid of poison ivy or poison oak or something else, so I kept trying to keep the kids from touching anything.  I was also worried about the hooks.  Rod and his Dad were casting the lines for the kids and then handing them the rods to hold, but several times, the kids swung the rods around trying to cast them themselves.  I could imagine one of them catching a sibling on their hook.  


Izzie holding her treasured Barbie fishing rod.


Rod and Jim helping Will.


Jim and Drew fishing.


 Rod helping Julia.


 My little Drew hanging out on an old stump.


The only fish we caught that day was a bag of goldfish crackers I brought along :-)


While the fishing outing made me extremely anxious, I have to admit that the scenery was beautiful.  The weather was perfect and the Smoky Mountains really are quite breath-taking.

We saw a crane downstream.


Even after all of my worries, it turns out that we all survived :-)



After dinner, we went out to dinner. 
Jim and Judy
Izzie, Paige, Drew, Will and Julia

2 comments:

  1. I would have been the exact same way! I can envision every moment of your fishing excursion, hooks and stream and all! Isn't it funny that our kids just relax and have a good time and are completely oblivious to the fact that their mother's are having near heart attacks? Being a mom is such a never-ending hard job! But yes, isn't it wonderful to have some freedom to do things like that that you didn't have before? I love it that we get to go do stuff now and don't have to worry about finding a sitter for the little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just got back from our first mini-trip (to Memphis) for which the SUV wasn't packed to the rim! No stroller, no highchairs, no pack-and-plays. I was just thinking to myself...I took bibs, which we used for a couple of meals, and I took the girls' forks, which I washed in the bathroom sink at the hotel. Other than that, they were big girls! Wow!!!

    I can't wait to hear more about your trip! We're planning a stop through Gatlinburg in a few weeks.

    And I love the pictures, especially the Barbie fishing rod one! ;)

    ReplyDelete