Saturday, July 21, 2012

Julia's First Crush

For a little while, I wasn't sure if I would post about this. I want to feel like I am respecting my kids' privacy. At the same time, I am sure I will want to remember this and Julia may think it's funny to look back at one day. What finally made me decide to go ahead and post about it is how completely innocent the whole think is.  This summer, Julia developed her first crush.

For four weeks this summer the kids took swim lessons at the local high school.  For all four weeks, the girls were in level 2, taught by Lance.  Funny enough, my picky little Julia didn't like him originally.  During their first class, Lance wore his goggles hanging loosely around his neck.  This bothered my little nit-picker.  The whole ride home, she complained, "Why were his goggles around his neck?  They are not a necklace.  I do not like that!"  Thankfully, he did not wear the goggles after that.  I guess she forgave him. 

Of the three girls, Julia is definitely the most hesitant.  Lance was always very good with her.  He would encourage her and assure her he was right there and would help her.  He won her over.  I first began noticing that everywhere we went, if we saw a dark-haired, handsome man, Julia would say, "Is that Mr. Lance over there?"

I am calling this a crush, but it was quite sweet and innocent.  She never said anything to Lance, so neither did I.  She began getting 'phone calls' on her toy cell phone from 'Mr. Lance.'  She would talk to him on her little toy phone a few times a day ;-)  A few weeks into the lessons, she told me that she was going to marry Mr. Lance.  The last week, she told me several times that she was going to dance with Mr. Lance at the royal ball. 

Julia and Lance

Swim lessons have ended.  I told the kids this, but I don't think they totally understand it yet.  This morning, Julia asked if we had swim class.  I told her no, that swim lessons were over.  She asked when we were going to see Mr. Lance again.  I said we won't see him any time soon.  Maybe next summer he would teach their swim lessons again.  She told me she would see him at the royal ball.  Ah...  young love ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Awww!! I think it's fine to post this, given that she's only 3? and that this is so normal! When I was a kid (older though) I had crushes on all the lifeguards. Then when I was a lifeguard, there were tons of girls that had crushes on the boy lifeguards. Now my kids are on swim team, and though my girls don't show signs of liking any of the older boys there are TONS of girls that do. It's so funny - seems to be a cycle that keeps repeating. What can I say? Boy swimmers are cute and fun and great with kids so what's not to love? How precious. My little girls adore their Coach Matt who has taught their lessons the last two summers. He's an okay teacher but they love him so much we'll just stick with him. Sometimes they play "Coach Matt" when they are at home. I don't think there's is crush-level either but they do just adore him. Cute. And so it begins....

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for why they roll on their backs, all these indoor swim clubs seem to use the same teaching technique which is more life-saving than it is swim team ready. If I had a backyard pool and 2 year old that was too little to hold himself up to get a breath I can see where it can be beneficial. But what I see is parents keeping their kids in lessons year round and paying a ton of money because they don't just focus on getting down the fundamental glide and then adding arms and legs. If a child could just do that couldn't they get themselves to an edge of a pool if they needed to? That being said, if they are not strong enough to breathe then I guess there's the problem. But mine are so I'd like to just move on focus on them swimming long lengths of the pool. To me it seems that once they can get a breath and keep going then you've really made it over the swimming danger hump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just too stinkin' sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. She will one day appreciate this story. Until then, thank you for sharing it and making me smile!

    ReplyDelete