Saturday, August 25, 2012

Summer 2012 Highlights

Yeah, I've been pretty bad at keeping up with the blog this summer.  Do you know what I learned?  Summer with five small kids is BUSY!!
 
While we kept busy, we did have a great time and enjoyed our summer.  Here are just a few moments I was able to capture and want to remember.
 
 Here are the kids and some cousins at Edgewood's 4th of July parade with Grandma and Grandpa K.
 
Our town's parade wasn't until the Saturday following the 4th.  We planned to go to that one as well, but didn't make it.  Unfortunately, that morning, Paige scratched her cornea.
 We went to the doctor and got some medicine, but it was awful.  She was in terrible pain.  There is little as heartbreaking as holding your sweet little girl while she screams in pain and not being able to take it away.  I was VERY happy that it healed quickly and she bounced right back!
(no, the monkey band-aid isn't actually helping, but she wanted it.  Some injuries just call for a blue monkey-face band-aid.)


The next week was our church's vacation bible school.  Will has gone for the last couple years, but this was the first time the quads went.  I figured this would be a good trial-run for their preschool that starts after Labor Day.  I am pleased to say it went well!  My biggest concern was the drop-off.  The moment where I actually turned, walked away and left them.  They had no problem at all!  They smiled, waved and yelled "bye-bye!"  They had a blast at vbs.  They did crafts, ate snacks and sang songs (like I said, it is a lot like pre-school) and loved every minute!
 Here they are getting ready for their first day with their cousin Ana.
 and at the end of the last day with Father Mario.


And we can't forget the big day...  On August 8th, Will turned 7 years old!!!!!!!
I can't believe how big my guy is getting.  We decided to celebrate all five kids b-days with one party in late August, so we didn't have a big party, but we did celebrate at home and have some cake.
 Whoa!  Seven candles create quite a glow!

Then, Mommy took a much-needed weekend away.  My girlfriend Alyssa and I went down to Nashville to visit our friend Helen.  The three of us have been friends since high school and had a great time catching up, relaxing and going out and forgetting that we are no longer college-aged :-).  We had an absolute blast and hope to make this an annual tradition.
 When you're in Nashville, you need cowboy boots, right?!?


All summer long, the quads took a tumbling class.  They absolutely loved it!  Their teacher was Miss Stephanie and she was fabulous.  I have no idea how that woman had so much energy, but she made every class fun and kept the kids excited to come back.
 The crew on the balance beam with Miss Stephanie.

Of course, we all know what the end of summer means.  Yep, back to school.  Will started 2nd grade a couple weeks ago.  So far, he is really enjoying it.  He says that his teacher, Mrs. Barnes, is very nice and he likes the kids in his class.
Will before his first day of school.
So, when Will came home from school, he told us he was really glad that Susie was in his class again.  Rod asked him if Susie was his girlfriend.  He said, "No Dad.  We're just friends.  I'm only in the second grade.  Camden (one of his friends' older brothers-- who is in the 4th grade, so of course he knows everything!!) told us that in the 3rd grade, you meet your true love."
He said this with a completely straight face.  I mean, if Camden said it, it must be true!


Well, there you have it.  A busy, crazy, fun and wonderful summer!

5 comments:

  1. So glad to see some of the highlights of your summer!

    That's fantastic that your crew had a great time at VBS. Our girls have done great at preschool so far (two weeks in)...I am sure your babies will, too. :)

    I have on my list to check out the tumbling classes here. I want to get the girls rolling with preschool first, and then we'll see if we want to consider something else. I have several friends whose kiddos love it.

    And...so great you got away for a weekend! Sounds like so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny about meeting your true love! Let's hope not because mine just started 3rd!

    Looks like you had a great weekend with your girlfriends - I'm jealous - don't remember the last time I took a girls weekends, especially with really close friends.

    And yay for you that the quads are starting preschool! They didn't do it last year, right? Talk about some time to breathe! But those hours go so fast.

    Hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where's the picture of your boots??

    Looks like everybody had a busy but fun summer. Bring on the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You're back :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad Paige's eye healed quickly. One of our's had to have ROP surgery when they were babies and the weekly check ups were brutal for her and me both!! I'm glad to see you back here. I was getting worried. :0)

    ReplyDelete